The collected detritus and flotsam from my internet browsing ends up collated at www.beta57.com. Here’s what I’ve been linking to recently:
- 7 Reasons Why You Should Stop Bitching About People On Benefits.
- Organic mega flow battery promises breakthrough for renewable energy
- "The problem in America is not that there are no jobs. It is that jobs are not paying."
- The Lives of Fast Food Workers
- Drowning in money: the crazy public spending that makes flooding inevitable | George Monbiot
- Race, class and the price of policing | openDemocracy
- 'Germans Are The Masters And Poles Are The Slaves' – Ta-Nehisi Coates – The Atlantic
- This Day in Labor History: "an orgy of brutality"
- The Twisted Roots of the War On (Some Classes of People Who Use Some) Drugs
- Killing The Namibian Black Rhino for $350,000 – Greg Laden's Blog
- Map: Where and How People Live
- Angry White Men
“Patriarchy and racism are both systems of dominance that are coming apart. The white men who feel the change first are the ones just one step up from the bottom: Their step collapses, throwing them in with the “lesser” blacks and women, and the pyramid resettles on top of them. The white men higher up the pyramid want the victims of this collapse to identify with them and with the pyramid that gives them their status: What’s wrong isn’t that the pyramid itself is unfair — as you now can clearly see, being at the bottom of it. What’s wrong, they want you to believe, is that the pyramid is collapsing. You should defend the pyramid, blame the other bottom-dwellers for your loss of status, and maybe one day your one-step-up can be restored.They know that’s not going to happen; they’re just counting on you not figuring it out. The Masters of the Universe are not going to bring your job back from China. Wal-Mart is not going to make room for your family shop to re-open. Bank of America is not going to forgive you
Digest powered by RSS Digest